Apple Spice Layer Cake Ingredients:
- 1/2 Lemon - cut into wedges
- 5 Large Apples - peeled, cored and sliced thin (about 1/8-inch thick) Use a variety of eating and cooking apples such as Granny Smith and Golden Delicious
- 1 Stick of Unsalted Butter - melted & cooled
- Butter or Cooking Spray for baking pan
- 1 Cup All-Purpose or White Whole Wheat Flour - plus 2 tablespoons for baking pan
- Pinch Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Pie Spice or Cinnamon (or a blend of 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon ground All-Spice & 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamon)
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs - Lightly Beaten
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup All-Purpose or White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar - Packed
- Pinch Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Apple Pie Spice or Cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- Make the Streusel Topping: In a small bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar, salt and spices together, whisking to combine.
- Add in the butter. Combine with your fingers or use 2 forks or a pastry cutter to “cut in” the butter into the flour mixture until clumps form. The mixture should resemble coarse meal or small pea-sized lumps. Set aside.
- Prepare a cake pan - 8 x 8 or 9 x 13 by spraying it with cooking spray or coating it with butter. Lightly flour the pan with 2 tablespoons of flour, shaking to coat the pan and shake out excess. Set aside.
- Make the Cake filling: Prepare the apples - wash, peel and core them and then slice into thin slices - about 1/8 inch thick. Squeeze the juice from half of a lemon over the apple slices to keep them from browning - tossing to coat with the lemon juice.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, apple pie spices and pinch of salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract and the melted & cooled unsalted butter. Combine the egg/butter mixture to the four mixture, stirring to combine; then add in the sliced apples. Thoroughly fold all the ingredients to incorporated and coat the apple slices with the batter.
- Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan in an even layer. Scrape all the batter out of the bowl and into the pan. Sprinkle the streusel mixture over the batter. Bake for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the cake meets no resistance and comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes before serving.
- Apple Cake is best served warm, but it will hold for up to 3 days, covered and refrigerated. Warm before serving.
Peel & Cut Apples in half, then core and slice into thin slices.
Put the thin slices of apples into water that has some lemon juice added to it. The lemon juice will help keep the apples from turning brown (oxidizing) and the lemon juice flavor adds a bit of tartness to counter balance the sweet.
Melt some butter - and then allow to cool.
Whisk together the dry ingredients and then fold in the wet - butter/eggs
Fold into the apples - the batter will seem like there's not enough, just stir to coat all the apples thoroughly then add them to an 8 x 8 baking pan. Press the apples down to fit.
Top the apple batter with the struessel crumb topping and bake
The topping will get golden brown and as the apples cook, they shrink down and form a layer cake.