Lobster Rolls at Rock bottom Prices
ZeroToSixtyAndBeyond.com), as she made an awesome lobster salad for us this summer at the Blogstress Summer Get-Together. Her salad looked like a bowl of confetti - colorful and festive. I haven't been able to satisfy my craving for lobster salad since July!
If you are able to find "New England-style"Rolls - squared hot dog buns that are split open at the top, buy them! They add to the "authenticity" of the sandwich. If you are skipping the bread and carbs, then serve the salad in Bibb or Boston Lettuce Leaves. We found the rolls and splurged on the squishy white-bread goodness. The cost per serving for us to have these at home came down to about $3.50 per serving - and I know the fat and sodium content was definitely better for me. Plus, I could have all the sides of healthy salads and vegetables that I wanted and not feel like I broke my zipper and the bank at the same time!
- 1 Pound Lobster - Steamed and Lobster Meat removed from shell
- 1/4 Each - Red and Green Bell Peppers - small dice (about 1 cup total)
- 1 Large Celery Stalk - small dice
- 1 Medium Carrot - small dice or shredded
- 1/2 Cup Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar OR White Wine Vinegar and a pinch of sugar added to the white wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Low-Fat Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons (Total) Mixture of Dried Dill, Parsley, Tarragon and Thyme
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Hot Dog or New England Style Buns - toasted
- Bibb or Boston Lettuce Leaves - washed and dried
- Remove lobster meat from the shell and roughly chop into small pieces. Add to a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Dice the red and green bell peppers, celery and dice or shred the carrots. Add all the vegetables to the lobster.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the non-fat Greek yogurt, vinegar, mayonnaise, and dried herbs. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper. Hold off on seasoning with salt until you dress the lobster. Whisk thoroughly to combine, then pour the dressing over the lobster and vegetables. Fold to combine.
- Refrigerate, cover and chill the salad until ready to serve.
- When ready to server, toast the buns or have the lettuce leaves ready to fill with the lobster salad.
- Serves 2 to 4; 2 generous servings or 4 moderately filled sandwiches. Will hold for up to 2 days. Best used within one day. Stir before serving.
- To make in larger amounts, increase the proportions - the dressing base is enough to serve up to 6. Add in more lobster meat and vegetables as needed. A few more handfuls of diced veggies will go a long way!