Tilapia is a very mild, easy to cook fish. It's a fish you should incorporate into your weekly seafood rotation; it defrosts easily, it's very inexpensive, around a dollar or two per serving, and takes on any flavor you add to it much like tofu; more importantly, it cooks in minutes. You can cook it in the toaster oven, microwave, foil or parchment packets, baked, roasted or pan sauteed. Of the many ways I like to cook tilapia, my new favorite has to be this quick pull-together meal using odd bits of stuff from my pantry: crushed potato chips and Asian rice crackers along with packets of Chinese condiments - Chinese mustard, duck sauce and soy sauce. Here's a way to make the most out of that growing pile of Chinese food take out condiments!
This recipe is more of a step by step how-to - here's what you need:
Tilapia with Chinese Mustard and Crushed Potato Chips Ingredients:
- Tilapia - 6 ounces per person, or 2 small fillets (which would be the equivalent)
- 1 Packet of Chinese Mustard
- 1 Packet of Duck Sauce
- 1 Packet of Soy Sauce
- Sheet Tray lined with a Silpat, Parchment Paper or Aluminum Foil
- 1/2 Cup Crushed Potato Chips (unflavored works best; baked or fried, your choice)
- 2 Tablespoons Asian Rice Cracker Snacks (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped Parsley or Cilantro for Garnish - fresh or dried (optional, for colour)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a sheet or baking tray with a Silpat, Parchment Paper or Aluminum Foil, lightly spray it with the cooking spray, set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Chinese Mustard, duck sauce and soy sauce, set aside.
- In a small snack or sandwich bag, crush the potato chips and rice crackers using a rolling pin, or soup can, or back of a wooden spoon. Once the chips and/or crackers are crushed and crumbled into small crumbs, set aside.
- Lay the tilapia fillets onto the prepared sheet/baking tray and brush the mustard mixture over each tilapia fillet then generously sprinkle the crushed potato chips/rice crackers over the mustard-schmered fillets. Top with a sprinkling of chopped parsley or cilantro. Bake in the preheated oven for 7 minutes.
- Remove, serve hot immediately with a drizzle of soy sauce.
|Serve with a medley of roasted veggies, like squash, zucchini and asparagus!|