Packing a healthy, mostly vegetarian lunch every day can get a bit tedious, day in and day out. I usually try to have a lot of prepped salad stuff, cook up extra veggies and make a few whole grain sides like quinoa, brown rice or whole wheat pasta to have on hand for my lunches. This way I can toss together decent meals quickly the night before and have a healthy lunch to take to work. If I'm successful over the weekend, I'll have cooked enough food for several meals worth of lunches and dinners to get us through until Wednesday night. I hate it when I don't plan a proper lunch, I don't enjoy spending excess money on bad lunches out and I don't like the lunch choices in my work neighborhood. My other issue with having to prepare a week's worth of vegetarian or kosher friendly lunches for work, I get bored with the same meals; I'm not a big fan of left-overs beyond two or three meals. It's a tricky dilemma but somehow I figure things out.
I received a coupon from FoodBuzz and the Tastemaker program for a free package of Green Giant Steamers. I like frozen vegetables, especially in the winter when fresh or local options aren't as readily available. Frozen peas, broccoli and spinach are nearly as good as (and sometimes better than fresh, in the case of peas) fresh vegetables. Having a few bags in the freezer can make all the difference in rounding out a pasta dish some nights. When I saw the coupon for the Green Giant Steamers, I wondered how I could use in a recipe. Breaking the lunch-time boredom was my inspiration. I decided to make a crustless quiche, using the Green Giant Broccoli Rice and Cheese Steamer. Taadah! A good lunch option and an interesting use of a good side dish too. Lunch cannot be just a bowl of broccoli, rice and cheese, though it might not be such a bad idea...if only I could bring a piece of grilled chicken to eat with it.
The crustless quiche, or frittata was easy to make and needed few other ingredients to add to it. I used the package of broccoli, rice and cheese, a few eggs, some seasoning, a cup of milk and because I had it, a bit of pumpkin puree whisked in to add to the vegetable quotient. Baked it in an 8 x 8 baking dish for 35 minutes and let it cool to set before I cut a piece for my lunch. An all-in-one meal pret a mange.
Crustless Quiche with Green Giant Broccoli Rice and Cheese Steamer Ingredients:
- 1 Package Green Giant Steamers - Broccoli Rice and Cheese- steamed according to package instructions
- 4 Eggs - beaten
- 1 Cup Non-Fat or Low-Fat Milk
- 1/4 Cup Pure Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasonings (or dried seasoning of choice)
- 1/8 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper - several grinds
- Cooking Spray
- 8 x 8 baking/brownie pan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease the 8 x 8 baking pan with cooking spray, butter or oil, set aside.
- Heat the Green Giant Steamer Bag in the microwave according to the package instructions - about 4 1/2 to 6 minutes. Let sit for 1 minute before opening bag, then open bag, and pour contents into a bowl; set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the 4 eggs, 1 cup of milk and 1/4 cup of pumpkin puree until the mixture is frothy and thoroughly incorporated. Season the mixture with the Italian seasonings, red pepper flakes and several grinds of black pepper, then fold in the cooked and cooled Green Giant Broccoli Rice and Cheese Steamer.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan, place in the preheated oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the mixture is set and the eggs are no longer soft or runny in the center.
- Cool at least 30 minutes before cutting. Serve hot, warm or cold. Makes 4 to 6 servings. Will hold for up to 3 days, covered and refrigerated.