Disclaimer: this pie is not low-fat or healthy but it's REALLY GOOD! That being said, if you make this earlier enough in the day, it may be ready to take to your 4th of July picnic today. I received this recipe courtesy of our friend, Kerri, a co-worker of Liz's from the Opera Company of Philadelphia. She brought it to our house for a recent get-together and I fell in love with this tasty treat. I was also intrigued by the chemistry of the ingredients, white chocolate, heavy cream, a touch of sour cream and lime zest and juice. No baking, no freezing, no gelatin and no egg-whites whipped into a frothy stiff batter to set the filling. It's all done via a ganache and curdling method. You melt the chocolate into the heavy cream and curdle it slightly with the addition of the acid from the lime. Chill and voila! You have an easy and surprisingly light refreshing dessert. Make about 4 hours ahead of when you wish to serve, so it sets and firms properly. Key limes are not necessary, though they are more tart and certainly cuter as a garnishment. I suggest you use the best white chocolate you can find - the better stuff has more cocoa butter, which is integral to real white chocolate. I found a great version at Trader Joe's, for a decent price. Skip the Nestle's - it contains very little cocoa butter. The only way I could figure out how to make this lower fat was by using a low-fat graham cracker pie crust and using low-fat sour cream, small, insignificant changes. If anyone has an idea on how to make this lower-fat, by all means, comment and let me know! As a once in-awhile treat though, it's not so terrible...
White Chocolate Key Lime Pie Ingredients:
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 11 to 12 Ounces Best Quality White Chocolate (chips or break the bar into smaller pieces)
- 1 Tablespoon Low-Fat Sour Cream
- Zest of 1 Lime (about 1 tablespoon) - finely grated
- 1/3 Cup FRESH Lime Juice (regular or Key Limes)
- 1 - 9-inch Ready to Use Graham Cracker Pie Crust Shell
- Either in a sauce pot over low heat or in a microwave safe bowl, heat the heavy cream and white chocolate until the chocolate melts completely; stir constantly if heating over the stove; if microwaving, heat at 1 minute intervals, stir and heat again for a total of 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk the cream and chocolate mixture to ensure that the white chocolate is completely melted (a few streaks or tiny pieces may remain, but the mixture should be nearly smooth).
- Stir in the sour cream and incorporate thoroughly.
- Carefully whisk in the finely grated lime zest and the lime juice - the mixture will change colour and texture.
- Stir to completely combine and then pour the mixture into the ready to use graham cracker pie shell. Chill at least 4 hours before serving. Garnish with lime slices if desired.
- Cut, using a thin knife, cleaned before cutting the next slice. Serves 8. Will hold for 3 days, refrigerated and covered.