Pumpkin Multigrain Hot Cereal
Here's an idea more than a recipe per se. Of the many, MANY pumpkin uses and ideas that I have, the easiest one is to simply add it to a hot multi grain cereal. It's Weight Watcher sanctioned and just a darn good use of that big ole can of Libby's. You get a healthy extra high fiber dose of a vegetable in your morning hot bowl of wholesome goodness and even better, you get twice the amount of porridge; the pumpkin adds volume without fat or bad for you calories. And that's no bowl of curds and whey! If Miss Muffett were eating this for breakfast that bad morning spider would have never sat down beside her causes she'd have enough to share! This one is also good for the kiddies - My little Nibblet will be enjoying this for his first birthday big boy brunch!
Hot Cereal Ingredients/Ideas
Use one dry cup of the following or your favorite hot cooked breakfast mush:
- Slow Cooking Oats
- Multi grain Cereal (such as Bob's Red Mill 7 Grain)
- Quick Cooking Oats
- Cream of Rice or Wheat
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Pure Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon or Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend
- 1 Tablespoon Butter or Light Butter (optional)
- 1/2 Cup Milk - heated
- Maple Syrup or Sweetener of Choice - to taste
- Cook the hot cereal according to package directions, adding the teaspoon of salt and the vanilla extract to the cooking water, then add in the dry grains.
- Once the cereal is cooked stir in the pumpkin puree, cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice and butter, folding to incorporate and combine.
- Serve hot with heated milk and maple syrup.
- Makes 4 to 6 servings.