Pizza Night Smorgasbord: Grilled Hot Dog Pizza on Wholewheat
Work with what you have on hand and use what you love to eat. Case in point, I wanted to make grilled wholewheat pizzas and I wanted to use what I had in the 'fridge. There they were, delicious and guilt-free 97% Fat free Hebrew National Beef Franks. I love hot dogs and pizza so naturally, I thought why not put these two food groups together? While the pizza dough was on the grill crisping on the first side, I threw the dogs on the grill to heat and cook through. This gave me some time to invent the perfect sauce for the pizza as it had to be some combination of what you would normally put on a hot dog; ketchup, mustard and relish. A combination of both with some added barbecue and hot sauces. In the on-going recipe files of my grilled pizza obsession, I present to you my grilled hot dog pizza on wholewheat pizza dough. Simply perfect.
- 4 Hot Dogs of Choice - though 97% Fat-Free Hebrew National Beef Franks are fantastic
- 2 Tablespoons Yellow Mustard
- 1/4 Cup Barbecue Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon Pickle Relish
- 3-4 Dashes Hot Sauce
- 1/2 Pound or 1/2 of a Ball of Wholewheat Pizza Dough - rolled out thin, and grilled on one side
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese or Three Cheese Blend
- Freshly Ground Pepper - to taste
- Preheat your grill to medium high.
- Grill the hot dogs until cooked through and slightly charred. Remove from grill and when the hot dogs are cool enough to handle slice them on a bias into 1/4-inch thick slices. Set them aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the yellow mustard, ketchup, barbecue sauce and relish, stirring to combine. Add in several dashes of hot sauce, to taste.
- Grill one side of the the pizza dough on a medium-hot grill. Remove the dough from the grill and cool for a few minutes. Flip the grilled bottom and use this side as your "topping" side; the un-grilled side will now be the bottom and will be finished on the grill once the pizza is topped.
- Place the pizza dough onto either a pizza peel or onto an rim-less cookie sheet or use the bottom of a sheet tray. Spoon the mustard/ketchup sauce over the entire pizza dough. Layer the sliced hot dog pieces across the pizza dough. Season with a few grinds of freshly ground black pepper. If there is any sauce remaining, dot it onto the hot dog pieces. Top with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Carefully place the pizza back onto the grill, sliding it off the pizza peel or cookie sheet, and grill the pizza until the cheese melts and is bubbling, about 3-5 minutes over medium to low heat.
- Remove the pizza from the grill, sliding it back onto a pizza peel or onto the cookie sheet, using tongs and a spatula. Allow to cool a few minutes before cutting into slices. Serves 2-4.