Greek Yogurt Parfaits with Fruit and All Bran Buds
File this under fun and tasty things to do with cereal: I've been making really scrumptious Greek yogurt parfaits with fruit and the Kellogg's All Bran Cereal Buds I received from FoodBuzz, the advertising sponsor on my blog. The other day I made that awesome strawberry rhubarb crisp with the All Bran Flakes - we ate every scrap, practically licked the baking dish clean (well, the dog would have if I had let him...) So for an easy and wholesome breakfast I thought I'd step up my fruit and yogurt combos and make it a little more special. The All Bran Buds are like a cross between Grape Nuts and Wheat Germ, crunchy and full of texture but they have a slightly sweet nutty taste. I like them a lot and would buy them again as a good filling cereal topping. I bet they would be good sprinkled over oatmeal or a multigrain hot cereal too, as a little extra crunch. Hmmm...
Anyway, this isn't a recipe, more of an idea to spark your interest. By the way, the container I used was my new Lock & Lock from QVC. It's so awesome! Nothing leaks and the sizes are great for lunches and left-overs; I've taken miso noodle soups, salads and these parfaits to work and everything stays neat and tidy. Greek style yogurt is higher in protein and is thicker than traditional style yogurts. I find a 6 ounce container of it along with a banana and some cereal sprinkled in is enough to fill me all morning. To sweeten the non-fat plain Greek yogurt, I used a bit of this low-fat lemon curd I made last week for Liz's birthday cake. The batch I made was enough for the cake, a few puddles on our cake plates and some left-over to flavor my yogurt. Good Stuff. Honey or the juice from macerated strawberries should also do the trick if you can't quite get used to the tang of plain yogurt. I like to control the sugar, so I opt for the plain variety. Fat-free vanilla works well too.
Greek Yogurt Parfaits with Fresh Fruit and All Bran Buds
- 1 - 6 ounce container Non-Fat Greek Style Plain Yogurt
- 1/2 or 1 Small Banana - sliced
- 5 Strawberries - sliced
- 1/2 Cup Kellogg's All Bran Buds
- 2 Tablespoons Honey or Low-Fat Lemon Curd (click or see recipe here!)
- Layer half of the banana slices in the bottom of a dish/container or glass bowl, then add a few sliced strawberries over the banana slices. Drizzle half a tablespoon of honey or low-fat lemon curd over the fruit. Next, layer over the fruit half of the All Bran Buds. Top with half of the container of Greek yogurt.
- Drizzle a bit more of the honey or lemon curd over the yogurt layer.
- Layer the remaining All Bran Buds on top of the first layer of yogurt.
- Spoon the remaining yogurt on top of the layer of All Bran Buds and top with the remaining banana and strawberry slices. Drizzle the remaining honey or lemon curd over the fruit.
- Parfaits can be made in advance and enjoyed later - will hold for up to 1 day, refrigerated.