One Pot Cooking: Coca-Cola Braised Beef Short Ribs
For this month's one-pot cooking - set it and forget it meal, I present to you:
Beef Short Ribs Braised in Coca Cola. That's right, a can of Coke!
Brought to you by the letters A & P! (The beef ribs were on sale at SuperFresh aka A&P Supermarket)
Coca-Cola Braised Beef Short Ribs Ingredients:
- 3-4 Pounds Beef Short Ribs
- 1- 12 ounce Can Coke (NOT DIET! Dr. Pepper or a good Rootbeer will work well too)
- 1/2 Cup Worchestchire Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Tablespoons Williams-Sonoma Hickory Smoked Seasoning Rub (or Thyme, Smoked Paprika, Oregano, Black Pepper, Cumin, Cayenne & Sugar)
- Freshly Ground Pepper - to taste
- 3 Medium Carrots - Large Dice
- 1 Large Onion - Large Dice
- 2 Celery Ribs Celery - Large Dice
- 4 Garlic Cloves - Roughly Chopped
- Dutch Oven
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Place half of the diced/chopped vegetables in the bottom of a Dutch Oven. Next, place the ribs on top of the vegetables. Put the remaining vegetables on top of the beef ribs.
- Pour the can of Coke over into the pot, along with the Worchestchire Sauce, water and seasonings.
- Put a tight fitting lid on the Dutch Oven and place in the preheated 425 degree oven. Roast, covered at 425 for 1 hour. Reduce heat to 375 and continue to roast for an additional 1 to 2 hours. If the liquid in the pot reduces too quickly, lower heat to 350 and add in another 1/2 cup of water. If after 2 hours, the liquid in the pot has not reduced enough and actually appears to have increased (due to the vegetables releasing their juices and the ribs’ fat melting), remove the lid and continue to roast until the liquid has reduced by about half its volume.
- Short ribs are done when the meat is tender and falling off the bones.
- Serve hot over mashed or smashed potatoes.