Apple Beet and Bleu Cheese Salad Ingredients:
- 1 Bunch Beets - about 4 or 5 Medium Sized Beets - any variety
- 1 Granny Smith Apple - peeled and medium dice
- 1 Small Red Onion - julienne
- 2 Celery Stalks - medium dice
- 1/2 Cup Parsley - roughly chopped
- 1/2 Cup Toasted Walnuts - coarsely chopped
- 1/3 Cup Bleu Cheese Crumbles
- 1 & 1/2 Tablespoons Molasses
- 1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Dry Mustard
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper - to taste
- Wash and cook the beets. The beets will taste better if you roast them, but it takes longer and requires turning on the oven! For this recipe, I boiled the beets until they were knife tender in a large pot of water - about 45 minutes. Cool the beets and after they are cool enough to handle, remove the skins. Cut the beets into 1/4-inch thick quarters. Add them to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Peel, seed and dice the Granny Smith apple. Add it to the cut beets. Don't worry about the apple turning brown, everything will become "beet red" from the beet juice.
- Add the julienned red onion and diced celery to the apple and beet mixture. Toss gently to combine.
- Make the dressing by whisking together the molasses, balsamic vinegar and mustard powder. Add a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Continue to whisk and slowly drizzle in the olive oil until the dressing is emulsified. Taste and adjust seasonings with additional salt and pepper. The dressing should taste sweet and tangy, but not too sweet or oily. Add more balsamic if needed or a bit more oil.
- Pour the dressing over the apple, beet, celery and onion mixture and toss to combine. Before serving, add in the parsley, toasted walnuts and bleu cheese.
- Serves about 6-8 as a side salad. Serve cold or at room temperature.