Grilled Sweet Potato & Hummus Sandwich
Here's a vegetarian sandwich idea that is filling, tasty and easy to prepare. I discovered this idea when I was in Arizona back in April and just got around to making my own version of it today. There is minimal prep and ingredients, and it can be varied to suit your tastes or what vegetables you have on hand. The grilled sweet potatoes took no time to cook and as an added bonus, they got a bit caramelized which added fantastic flavor. If you don't have an outdoor grill or can't be bothered firing it up, a grill or pannini pan, even a George Forman Grill will work just fine.
Ingredients - per sandwich:
- 1 Small Sweet Potato - scrubbed clean, blemishes cut out; cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 Roasted Red Pepper - make your own or jarred/canned in water are just fine
- 3-4 Grilled Asparagus Stalks
- 1 or 2 Slices Grilled, Roasted, Sauteed Red Onion (optional)
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Hummus
- 1 Whole wheat or multi grain roll
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium high heat.
- Clean and slice the sweet potato into 1/4 inch slices on the diagonal.
- Brush each sweet potato slice on both sides with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Grill the sweet potato slices over medium heat on a grill pan or grill surface for 5 minutes per side, or until the sweet potato slices begin to slightly char and feel soft or knife tender.
- Remove from grill, plate and cover with plastic wrap to finish cooking via steaming and cool off.
- Grill Red Peppers if making your own.
- Grill Asparagus Stalks - lightly sprinkle with olive oil and grill until stalks are lightly charred and turn bright green. Stalks should be slightly knife tender but still retain some crunch. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Grill, roast or saute red onion slices - brush lightly with olive oil.
- Assemble Sandwich: Spread whole wheat or multi grain roll with 1 tablespoon of hummus and layer on 2 or 3 slices of the grilled sweet potato, 3-4 stalks of grilled asparagus, a slice of red onion and several slices or pieces of the roasted red pepper. Enjoy!